Check out my engagement photos guide "How To Totally Win At Your Engagement Session." No email necessary!
I do, too! I tried out over 40 lipsticks so I could recommend the ones that would truly last all day - kiss proof for your big day!
I'm Mylah, a wedding photographer based in Austin, Texas, capturing timeless and intentional memories that celebrate marriage.
If you don’t follow me on Instagram, you may not know that I’ve spent the last year testing out stay all day lipsticks for your wedding day. I have tested out over 40 lipsticks, ranging from ones you can buy at the local store to the famous Chanel lipstick and have come up with a list of my personal favorites.
The lipstick test is simple: can it survive a FULL wedding day? I may not be smooching anyone while I’m at work (well, not since Dylan stopped photographing weddings with me in 2020), but it still has to survive me walking around – sometimes in the Texas Summer heat of over 100 degrees – for 8 hours at least. It can’t drip down my face when I’m sweating or come off on my Pedialyte (the only way to survive some of these Texas weddings). Part of the stay all day test also consists of surviving whatever dinner/snacks I need to power through the dance party.
I want a lipstick that will survive all of that AND still not come off when I get home to smooch on my fur babies. The lipstick is never perfect when I get home, but there are a few that have passed my stay all day test and still have to be scrubbed off after showering. Those are the ones I’m sharing with you today!
Most brides may opt to skip lipstick altogether because they know it may come off as soon as they put it on. Immediately after they’re out of hair and make-up, we may jump straight into PJ photos and mimosa toasts with the bridesmaids. As soon as that champagne glass hits their lips, a bit of the lipstick comes off. They’d have to retouch or lose color. What if their dress accidentally hits their lips when they put it on? They may have a stain on their white dress before anyone has seen them in it. At the first look, couples want to kiss. Without a stay all day lipstick, the groom may end up wearing a lipstick that he never intended to wear and the bride will have to … retouch or go without color. You can see how this pattern will follow them throughout the entire day.
The color adds contrast and dimension to your face, which helps brides to not look “washed out” or flat in photos. Without lipstick, your face will likely all be the same tone or tonal range, making your face (maybe the most important part of the image) look flat in a one dimensional image. Your lipstick color is going to add the pop, contrast, definition, and visual interest into your wedding photos. Classic, Bold red lipstick is so classic and feminine and is an extra special way to dress up for your wedding day. Just look at all the Old Hollywood actresses that are still considered classic beauties – chances are they’re wearing lipstick. Even today’s red carpet fashion classic moments still include a nice lipstick color.
While these are my personal favorites and I’d share them with you no matter what, the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link to purchase.
1. Maybelline SuperStay Matte Ink Liquid Lipstick. I have this one in at least three colors (“Pioneer” is my favorite) and is my number one recommendation for brides looking for lipsticks that will still be there for their grand exit. The picture of me and Lu below is *after* photographing an 8-hour wedding day *outside* in June with a reception in a barn with no A/C with over 100 degree heat. It lasted from before I left my house, the full wedding day, and fajita dinner (which is unforgiving with lipstick), and all the sweat pouring off my face. This lipstick always wins!
2. Maybelline SuperStay 24 Color. This is the second one I’ve found that truly stays all day. I also have this one in three colors. “All Day Cherry” and “Reliable Raspberry” are my go to colors.
3. Rimmel London Provocalips Kiss-Proof Lip Colour. This one was on another list and has thousands of 5-star reviews! I have “Play with Fire” and am excited to play with more colors.
4. Revlon ColorStay Ultimate Liquid Lipstick. Of all the Revlon Colorstay lipsticks I’ve tried, this one has the absolute best reviews.
5. NYX Shine Loud Long-Lasting Liquid Lipstick. This was a recommendation from the lady at Ulta. She said this was her favorite long-lasting lip color from everything she’s tried on from working at a Beauty Store. I took her recommendation and am so glad I did because it quickly made the list. My color here is “On a Mission.”
Those above are my favorites and have passed all my tests! These next few are honorable mentions! They don’t transfer off to wine glasses or coffee cups. However, they don’t last as well through meals as the top five do. They should be kiss proof, but you will have to re-touch after dinner.
6. NYX Lip Lingerie XXL Matte Liquid Lipstick. Another brand that made this battle of the lipsticks twice and there’s a reason for it! I prefer true blue reds, so I’d suggest “Stamina” as the color choice here.
7. Covergirl Outlast All-Day Custom Reds. My wedding planner friend Mikayla with ACH Events and I always compliment each other’s lipsticks because they stay all day. She introduced me to this one, so thank you Mikayla! My color choice is “Your Classic Red” but you already knew I love the classics!
8. Chanel Le Rouge Duo Ultra Tenue Ultra Wear Lip Colour. The nice lady at Neiman Marcus’s beauty counter told me this was the best stay all day lipstick in the entire store. I love it! It’s the most expensive one on the list and there aren’t too many colors via Amazon.
9. MAC Retro Matte Liquid Lip. That same lady from Neiman Marcus did share with me that her all-time favorite wasn’t sold at her store. Her favorite was found at MAC. *THAT* spoke volumes to me since she may get paid on commission and was sending me elsewhere. It does fabulous with no transfer (I had to scrub with makeup wipes for it to come off in store to try different colors), but doesn’t do as well during meals. “Dance with me” is my color here. (I’m not seeing a good option to purchase MAC from Amazon, so I’m not linking one.)
10. Wet n Wild Megalast Liquid Catsuit. This one made several lists of best stay all day lipsticks (I wanted to be thorough when testing) and it didn’t disappoint! There was no transfer to cups/glasses, but didn’t stay on fully through meals. My color for this one is “Missy and Fierce” and it’s a favorite!
There you have it! Those are my Top Ten Stay All Day Lipsticks for your wedding day! These would also be great to try out at your engagement session to test that “kiss-proof” status. I’ve tried over 40 lipsticks, but am happy to try any others that you think should be on this list! Tell me your favorites in the comments.
– Mylah Renae
© Copyright 2020. All rights reserved. branding & design by brand epiphany.
Mylah Renae is a dedicated wedding photographer based in Austin, Texas, capturing timeless and intentional memories that celebrate marriage.